This is a perfect mid week supper – simple and satisfying with sufficient zing to warm up your engine!
INGREDIENTS for 4
2 tbsp olive oil
500g chicken breast cut into chunks
4 shallots, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
Splash red wine
275g chorizo, thinly sliced
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200ml chicken stock
1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Handful chopped fresh coriander
Crusty bread or a good warm flat bread, to serve
- Heat half of the oil in a large pan. Add the chicken, grind over some black pepper, and fry, turning frequently, until lightly browned all over. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, then fry the chorizo until crispy, add to the warming plate with the chicken.
- Add the onions, garlic, celery and chilli and cook for five minutes in the juices left over. Add a splash of red wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes to the pan with the vegetables, stir and bring to the boil. Cook for five minutes, then add the stock and bring back to the boil.
- Add the browned chicken, the cannellini beans and the crisp chorizo and half the chopped coriander – simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through – no lid. Season, to taste, with a tiny bit of salt if needed and a little more ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped coriander and serve with crusty bread.
This went down well last night and was hoovered up very happily by the family.